Saturday, March 10, 2018

Four Starters

In the good old days, teams used to have a 4-man rotation. I remember in the early 70's the Baltimore Orioles had FOUR twenty game winners the SAME SEASON. (McNally, Cullar, Dobson, and their ace Jim Palmer. That was a year after they had THREE twenty game winners.

Now days, with a five-man rotation, teams rarely have any starter approach 20 wins in a season.

That is, until now. Baseball has decided to have a slightly longer season this year. The same number of games, but more off days and rest days for teams and their players. In the long run, they feel everyone will benefit. But, because of that, more teams are considering going back to a four-man rotation. They'll go with an "all bullpen day" once in a while, when the schedule gets tighter.

I like the idea of great pitchers getting more starts and more rest. I think it'll help stats and make it easier for teams with two or three good starters to compete. I also like the chance it gives to modern day fans to see more 20-game winners.

Why didn't I post yesterday? The Wolves lost their third in a row Thursday night. That's the first time all season they had lost three in a row. I didn't want to talk about it.

I still don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment