Thursday, August 1, 2013

Peterson's Arrogance

I am a huge Adrian Peterson fan but his big mouth is starting to bother me. He's been saying he's going to rush for 2,500 yards this year and that he's also going to break Emmit Smith's all-time rushing record by the end of the 2017 season

Nevermind that either record would be mind-blowing let alone BOTH. It's just the WAY he's saying it. He could say something like, "if I stay healthy and my offensive line continues to do some serious blocking I still have a chance at beating Eric Dickerson's all-time season rushing mark. Man, if I stay healthy, I'd like to take a run at Emmit's record as well." He'd be SAYING the same thing, but he'd be saying it in a way that makes him look happy to be here rather than emphasizing personal records in a team game.

I think most fans believe that Peterson, IF HE STAYS HEALTHY and HAS MORE LONGEVITY THAN MOST PREMIUM BACKS does have a legitimate chance to break both records.

BUT this is football. Even at his current rushing pace, Adrian wouldn't be able to break Emmit's record until the end of the 2019 season. I know Adrian thinks he'll be getting 2,000 or more yards a season from here on out, but realistically that's just not going to happen. Too much happens to running backs who get older, and none of it is good.

How many times a game is Adrian tackled by someone just grabbing his trailing foot? As he gets a TAD slower each year, those types of tackles are going to happen more and more often, until some younger cheaper back comes along to take his place. And major injuries are just one quick cut or one bad tackle away.

I like Adrian. I respect Adrian and what he's accomplished, but some personal goals should remain private. Otherwise you look like you are full of yourself instead of just being confident.

And I fully expect him to shatter Dickerson's mark this season if he stays healthy...

...and the offensive line is sound, and our QB and coaches use him properly, and ...

... well you get the idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment