Saturday, March 21, 2015

Twins

I don't put much stock in preseason games. I just like to watch a few of them, to see some of the young guys I've heard so much about, and wait for the regular season to start.

But I also look for trends and patterns. The Twins had a 7-3 record when their future superstars were playing with them and getting most of the playing time. This week, without them, they've went 0-4.

Like I said, I don't get too excited about win-loss records in spring training either way, but I DO CARE how the veterans are playing. Mauer went 0-3 yesterday with a strikeout and  is now batting a buck fifty for the spring. Not a good sign. Kyle Gibson pitched about half a game yesterday and gave up two home runs (to the same guy). That's an equally bad sign.

I hear people say that the Twins should be better this season than last and that makes them hopeful. Me, I think losing 90 or more games a year for five straight seasons is as bad as you can get. They BETTER be better. And 89 losses is not "better."

A new manager, a new pitcher, and an old returning superstar are not a major upgrades, especially when the new manager thinks a lot like the old one.

Am I hopeful? Of course. Every spring I think, "this could be our year."

Realistically? 85-95 losses is expected. And depending on how they play early, this could be the year we break the 100-loss barrier.

I'd love to seem them finish around .500 this season. I just don't see that happening. They went with age instead of youth. That's the worst sign of all.

And the Vikings, at this point, have decided to keep Adrian Peterson. My one hope there? Peterson and his agent are still ticked at the Vikings and refuse to meet with them. They are trying to force the Vikings to deal him.

Much like the T-wolves and the Twins, I think it would be better to let aging superstars go.


No comments:

Post a Comment