Sunday, April 19, 2015

Wild, Twins, Swarm Lose

I actually watched quite a bit of all three games yesterday afternoon.

My initial thoughts are that none of them were particularly entertaining. Phil Hughes is now 0-3. He hasn't been all that good so far, but the pitching he's facing has really stymied the Twins. Yesterday eight of the first nine Twins outs were strikeouts. Danny Salazar was real impressive in his debut for Cleveland. Cleveland, yesterday, was simply the better club.

I'm still trying to enjoy hockey again, but all I see when I watch it is a lot of movement (not to be confused with action) with little results. As usual, I didn't see one of the goals live. You have to be viewing at the just the right time to actually see a score. As a comparison, it would be as if baseball only scored on homeruns and everything else was an out. The chances of seeing a score that way is pretty remote.

Football and baseball build to a score. You can anticipate a score based on that. Basketball players score about half the time when they are in their end. A hockey team may take 18-22 shots A GAME, yet only once or twice will they score. Like I said, just a lot of meaningless movement, with little to show for their efforts. It's ice soccer.

The Swarm game was so similar, that I quickly lost interest there, too, though those goalie uniform/costumes are still a hoot.

A wasted afternoon? No. But, I think I'll try doing something else today rather than watch sports. I mean, what's worse: a game with wasted movement OR sitting in a chair all afternoon, with no movement, watching it?

No comments:

Post a Comment