Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Liriano Rocks as Pirates Roll

During the off-season, the Pirates signed Francisco Liriano to a two-year, approximately $13 million deal. That deal was invalidated when Liriano broke his pitching arm doing a dumb prank with his children Christmas day. A new contract was drawn up and agreed upon, based on incentives including being rewarded for NOT spending too  much time on the disabled list.

His base salary was only $1 million this season.

He's really hit those performance incentives though. Last night the Pirates won their first playoff game in over 20 years, and Liriano was one of the biggest reasons for that win.

I couldn't believe how much I enjoyed that game last night. I was rooting for Pittsburgh and, at least for a little while, they seemed like MY team. I haven't been this excited about baseball for several seasons. I'm also rooting for Cleveland to make it to the series this year, but I wouldn't mind it if the Rays squeaked in as well.

Good playoff baseball is such a pleasure. The Twins NOT being part of it actually makes it easier to enjoy. When the Twins were good enough to get in, and then lose early, it made it impossible to enjoy the other games. With the Twins playing so poorly the last few seasons, it's easier to enjoy the better teams and their play.

Go Pirates!

I should mention it was nice to see Morneau playing for them as well. I like seeing former Twins get a chance to play for winning/contending teams.

It was also fun using an old headline. I've missed that headline.

No comments:

Post a Comment