Sunday, July 27, 2014

Favorite Things

The Twins are not currently on the list.

I like the English language, though. I came across this sentence last week and really enjoy its nuances.  It's complete. It makes sense, and it uses the same word four times in a row.

"All the faith he had had had had no affect on the way he lived his life."

What else do I like?

My iPad. The more I see what it can do, and how easily it does those things, the more amazed I am that people settle for poor, cheap substitutes. I've been a comic book fan my whole life and have been fortunate enough to be published several times by a variety of publishers.

But READING comics on an iPad increases the pleasure of the experience immensely. You can read it panel by panel with each panel enlarged to fill the screen automatically. If you want to see the page layout as a whole, a simple couple of touches in the middle of the screen shows you the whole page.

Lately graphic novels and collections have been made available on the iPad so that you can read entire year-long story lines in a single package, some of them discounted as much as 80% off their printed hardcover counterparts. I've read beautiful 350-450 page comics for as little as $3 to $5. In high definition and beautiful RGB color.

Better yet? They really don't take up much space. 15 hardcover, 400-page books take up a lot of space on my bookshelf. They take up about 6 GB of space on my 64 GB device. And if I need the space, I can throw them away and reload them any time I want. My library is always at my fingertips.

Reading regular books is a good experience. Comic book fans drool over their iPad experience.




No comments:

Post a Comment