Saturday, August 13, 2016

Stuff

Phelps lost last night. The women's soccer team lost. The men's basketball team escaped by the skin of their teeth.

What do all of these events have in common?

I watched the endings of all of them.

Live.

I'm not a big Olympics fan, but I'm sick of the Twins losing again, and I wanted to watch some sports.

By watching, you find out stuff, too. I wish I could have caught more of the details, but it was something like this. Simone Biles, the greatest gymnast of all-time, possibly the greatest athlete of all-time, cannot sign endorsement deals with companies because it would "affect her status."

Huh?

Where all of the women soccer players want to join a union so they get better pay. Where pro golfers, pro basketball players, and tennis legends, are now actively playing in the Olympics, representing their country, and ALL have major contracts and salary deals with all kinds of sponsors, why can't Biles sign an endorsement deal with Coke, when she has a can of it with her literally every where she goes?

I  didn't get the details, but Olympic athletes, especially the STAR Olympic athletes haven't been amateurs for decades.

This makes no sense.

I'm going to be looking into this a little bit more. It just sounds weird.

Cashing in on your fame is what America stands for. For crying out loud, we're capitalist pigs. It's time for Biles to make her fortune while the iron is hot. NBC is rolling in dough based on Biles' performance. The Olympic committee members have been living off the the free labor of world stars for over a hundred years. It's time that the athletes get their fair share.

U$A! U$A! U$A! U$A!!!

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought amateurs went out with the dream team years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought amateurs went out with the dream team years ago.

    ReplyDelete