Thursday, April 12, 2012

An Elbow to the Head

Kevin Love, the last remaining Minnesota athlete that I actually enjoy watching regularly, got an elbow to the head last night.

The game was stopped for several minutes as he was tended to. Yes, it was a concussion.

I think one of the reasons it's harder follow sports now than when I was younger is that I notice the injuries more. Justin Morneau has had two concussions in two years and it has severely affected his life and play. Denard Span was incapacitated for more than half a season last year with his own concussion syndrome. Baker's elbow finally conked out as well.

Now, Love has been added to that list (in my head) of players who may not be the same because of injury. Injuries have always been a part of sports. I hate noticing how these injuries affect lives, teams, and careers. Before it was all about wins and losses. As I'm beginning to realize that now, I've become less interested in sports because injuries decide winning maybe even more than officials.

How sad is it that the performance of the team or player rates so low as the reason for who actually wins or loses a contest? I guess that's why you pick a player (like Love or the Twins's Willingham) and wait and see how they do and root for them to do well individually, knowing winning isn't something even the best teams can control.

We all wait and see if Kevin Love recovers while wondering if it's even possible.

2 comments:

  1. Whew! Thought you were gone for good...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a small change of venue and a slightly different perspective.

    ReplyDelete