Saturday, November 3, 2012

Howlingly Good

I got home last night in time to see the last eight minutes of the Wolves game. (Even when I really LIKE basketball I only watch the last eight minutes. Anything that happens before that time doesn't matter much.)

Now I know the Wolves were good in preseason, surprisingly good , at times killing their opponents, but what happened last night truly surprised me. It was the regular season and with eight minutes to go the Wolves had a lead and gradually BUILT on it. Remember when I said I usually just watch the last eight minutes? What I meant to say is that I'll START watching with eight minutes to go and then I'll usually turn it off in disgust when the T-Wolves do something stupid and end up getting clobbered in what seemed like a close game at that point.

That didn't happen last night. They've got two good big men. Their point guard was outstanding and they shot accurately when the game was on the line, even from really long range. In short, I did not recognize this team. Literally, I had no idea who most of these players were.

We've all heard the rumors and rumblings that the Wolves are "too white" or "too European" to win in this league. What I saw last night was a well-balanced, efficient basketball team.

And this was without their TWO acknowledged superstars and leaders Ricky Rubio and Kevin Love. At this point, I'm not saying the Wolves have one of the best teams in the league. It's way too early to say anything like that, but I'm way more optimistic about watching NBA basketball this season if this really IS the Wolves team I'll be watching.

For all I know, in a month's time they'll end up trading both Rubio and Love because they simply won't need them. Imagine how much money they'll save and they won't have to destroy the chemistry of the current team.

I say that last line in jest, but Minnesota sports franchises are known for having cheapskate owners and the Wolves always have one of the lowest payrolls in the league. At this point nothing would surprise me. That is, nothing except how good the Wolves played last night.

No comments:

Post a Comment