Saturday, February 15, 2014

Twins Acquire Another Mediocre Pitcher

A few days ago the Twins acquired Brooks Raley off the waiver wire from the Chicago Cubs, He's had a couple of short seasons as both a starter and reliever at the major league level, supplemented by minor league ball. His ERA over that time? Over 7.00. He's now officially the 40th man on our protected roster.

This move is a bit of a head scratcher. He's only 25, so he does have time to get better, but making room on our 40-man roster limit for him seems...well...dumb. I honestly thought we were done collecting pitchers with limited ability for this season.

Everybody, it seems, is excited about spring training. I'm not there yet. I want to see our starting rotation rotate a few times first.

Right now, I'm thinking that will involve a lot of pitchers rotating in and out of our starting rotation, which is not instilling in me a great deal of confidence.

Higher hopes than last spring? Perhaps. But that doesn't mean much. In baseball so much of who you are as a team depends on starting pitching, and after the last several years of a below average rotation, I have to see some improvement before I believe.

The Twins track record on finding starters lately has not been exactly stellar.

And our roster cost THIS season is still pretty much the same as LAST season.

The Vikings start their season in just 5 short months.

I'm starting to see a depressing pattern here.

No comments:

Post a Comment