Tuesday, February 25, 2014

When Fanaticism Meets Sentimentalism

I follow the blog of a local sports writer who enjoys his Twins. With the demolition of the Metrodome now pretty much complete, he has in his possession seats 22 and 23 from row 22, section 227. The significance of those seats? They were the location of he and his wife's first date back in 1986.

He himself didn't remember the exact seat numbers of that event, but his wife had kept the ticket stubs, and she made the purchase of those seats her own personal project when she knew that they'd be available. They will now be in either their basement or patio when the project is complete.

Their love of baseball brought them together.

It's weird, my wife and I have a similar story. Though I honestly can't say I ever really dated my wife (we just sort of did things together as friends who loved the Twins and -- boom -- the next thing I knew we were married), we shared an event at the dome about that same time period.

It was banner night, and the two of us, along with another close friend, entered the competition with two of our banners. We won two of the top three places and we got to go on the Metrodome field to march around the ballpark, in front of all the fans, showing them our winning banners.

We were friends at the time and our friendship grew closer with each game we attended.

It's weird how a love of something as inane as baseball can bring two people together.


Looking back, I think of other things in life that at times are almost an addiction. I can only think of one other such thing for me.

At one time, I was addicted to the Hokey Pokey. But I turned myself around.

That's what it's all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment