Saturday, January 3, 2015

Spring Training Invites

The Twins released their 18-player invite list for spring training this week. The biggest surprise? Only 4 of the 18 have major league experience. That's a dramatic departure from past years where nearly everyone at camp was someone else's castoff. I think it bodes well that the Twins are now confident enough with their own farm system that they now place more value in their own young players than someone else's rejects when it comes to filling roster spots.

I won't bother listing them. Most Twins fans, including myself, will never have heard of most of them. I kind of like that. I've been pressing for a youth movement with the team. This year will probably be the transitioning year. I can put up with another season of over-the-hill veterans waiting for what's just around the corner.

I dread this season knowing it revolves around one starter staying great, while two other starters must return to the form of their "glory years," knowing full well that neither of them were ever that good to begin with. We all wait for the term "cagey" to be added to their veteran status.

The best part about having lowered expectations this year is that I won't be disappointed when they lose. It will also give me greater joy if they become better than expected.

Minnesota sports. Lowering expectations more every year so that any wins at all seem good.


No comments:

Post a Comment