Sunday, April 28, 2013

Twins Win

The Twins played a great game yesterday, but I'm still bummed.

"Why?" Because I'm so used to the Twins playing home games on Saturday at 6:00 p.m. that I missed it entirely. I could never figure out why they made fans sit around until 6 on Saturday nights when they could EASILY have 3 o'clock games.

I know that Fox's national coverage game gets the clear Saturday afternoon slot nationwide, but I always figured they could easily have everybody else start at 3 or 4. Except they finally did do that and now I missed a perfectly good Twins game when they played really well.

Watching highlights and reading about it just isn't the same.

I am excited about Pedro Hernandez and his five scoreless innings yesterday, though. He's basically the last minute call-up pitcher who gave the Twins a five man rotation when Liam Hendriks failed and Cole DeVries got hurt. The problem is that with all of the Twins bad weather postponed games that I haven't got to see this guy pitch yet. He simply hasn't got that many starts. That he managed five innings and no runs is a real bonus for a team that isn't scoring many runs as of late.

Knowing Josh Willingham clubbed another rocket shot also gets me a bit more excited about the Twins chances. Even Aaron Hicks got his first extra-base hit yesterday and he did it in the big eighth inning when we needed it most. The only REAL disappointment? Perkins, who hasn't got a lot of use lately because of the weather AND the Twins losing streak, looked really bad in his one inning of relief. He had a huge lead to work with, which always seems to screw up closers, but still, he's had a couple of those outings in his 6 relief attempts this year. He hasn't blown a save yet or anything, but he definitely has not been lights out either. (Okay, Aaron Hicks losing a ball in the sun didn't help matters.)

Overall, no complaints (except of course that I missed the whole game.)

I'll try to do better today.

Did I mention that the attendance was 37,000? Now THAT'S more like it. Outdoor stadiums are for summer NOT extended winters.


No comments:

Post a Comment