Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Blue Jays and Blueberries

It wasn't that long ago that I was talking about how disappointing a season that the Toronto Blue Jays were having.

As of yesterday, they were still in last place in their division, but an 11-game winning streak has definitely left all Jays fans much more hopeful. They may have  had their streak snapped yesterday, but they are now only FIVE games out of first and above .500. The Twins by comparison are still 4 games below .500 and currently rest seven games out of first.

Winning streaks can turn seasons completely around. I'm still hopeful that the Twins can play .600 ball the rest of the way. A long winning streak would make that type of record all the more possible.

So what about blueberries?

This has nothing to do with sports at all, it's just that I've always wondered why tomatoes weren't considered vegetables. My casually observing wife sent me a link to a site recently that explained what "berries" were. In that article I discovered that tomatoes are berries.

The botanical definition of a berry is "a fleshy fruit produced from a single ovum."

Oddly enough, that definition does not apply to strawberries. Though a fruit, they are not a berry.

So what else did I discover? I like a lot more berries than I thought.

My favorites are grapes, bananas, and watermelon.

And in pie form, I also enjoy the fruit of the pumpkin. Yes, it's also a berry.

And I can't wait to be a know-it-all and my next social gathering.

Actually, I love being a know-it-all at every social gathering. And for those of you who know me well, you ALREADY knew that.

My wife loves me anyway, for which I'm extremely grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment