Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Rocket League

I've seen the future of televised sports and it has nothing to do with athletic people on a playing field.

A few weeks ago my wife and I watched a few minutes of world-class drone flyers competing in an empty big league stadium. It was basically a bunch of nerds with remotes piloting their drones through the hallways and open spaces of the the facility.

Prize money was at stake.

This weekend the NBC Sports channel (NBC's version of ESPN) outdid even that. They were broadcasting the entire Rocket League tournament. For those of you who don't know, Rocket League is a video game where trucks play soccer.

You read that right. NBC was broadcasting tons of hours of nerds playing video games for money. In primetime. They even had commentators and broadcasters giving play by play as if were a real thing.

And get this. The youth market, the ones advertisers seek, is gobbling up this programming.

Do you have any idea what this means for the future of televised sports in America?

Let's just say that major league baseball and its 3 hour snooze-fests are in real trouble.

I have seen the future of sports and it does not involve athletes.

And I used to think all of that televised poker on various sports channels was stupid...

1 comment:

  1. I'm in an athletic competition every time I play Solitaire on my iPad?? Cool!!! Go me!!

    ReplyDelete