Sunday, January 6, 2013

Disappointing

Joe Webb was a deer caught in the headlights last night. The coaches didn't accommodate his strengths and even though he really did look much more comfortable throwing in the fourth quarter, by then it was way too late.

I'm more disappointed than angry. The Packers played great defense and Frazier and crew never came up with a game plan that didn't involve Ponder during the week. It was a recipe for disaster. Inexperience plus lack of preparation equals disappointment.

At least losing this game didn't kill my interest in football. I want the Broncos to win it all this year and if they can't, I wouldn't mind seeing Brady getting another ring for New England. IF they can't do it, I wouldn't mind watching the Packers and Rodgers win either. I'm still looking forward to more football this afternoon and am glad the Vikings had a pretty good season. I'm looking forward to NEXT year and am still hoping that Ponder continues to improve.


And that they find a place for Webb. And that place shouldn't be in the pocket.

If nothing else, the Vikings played the Packers even in that second half. That's something to build on for next year.

Go Broncos. Go Patriots. Go Pack.

I guess I can't end this blog without making one more point. The Vikings had Webb running a weird triple option on that first drive that looked so incredibly good.  Vikings fans saw what the combo of Peterson and Webb exchanging running plays was like and it LOOKED GREAT. And then they didn't do it again the rest of the game.

I honestly don't know what the Vikings coaches were thinking forcing Webb to then become a pocket passer for the rest of the game. Forcing a round peg into a square hole automatically makes you look like an idiot on any intelligence test. My assessment of the Vikings coaching staff hasn't changed much throughout the season.

It took them twelve weeks to figure out how best to use Ponder. And last night they pulled the plug on the game plan (they should have used) after just one successful series.

Dumb coaching kills. Just an observation.

No comments:

Post a Comment