Friday, September 20, 2013

Cable TV

I can't believe I'm thinking about dropping cable after having it for over 25 years.

Nearly everything I watch can easily be accessed through Netflix, Hulu Plus, and Amazon Prime. Even subscribing to ALL of those services would cost me less than $30 a month.

The only thing I would really miss would be live sports. The Twins are not going to be worth watching for at least several seasons. The Vikings are not going anywhere for the foreseeable future either.

Last night I was checking about the possibility of subscribing to the NFL replay Network. For $40 for the entire season, I could watch every NFL game, time delayed by one day. They even let you watch 30 minute versions of the game if you prefer, so that you don't have to watch the entire three hours to see all of the action.

In the past, I would have hated that option. Sports need to be live right? Right?

Well, not so much any more. If I could see 30 minute versions of 6 or 7 games a week, I would be seeing ALL the games I really want to see, but I'd be seeing them in the space of one NORMAL game.

I'd see everything in less time.

Hmmm.

I can still catch many major college games on ESPN 3 (an internet channel).

I'm thinking about dumping my landline phone at the same time.

That's as much as $130 a month I'd be saving depending on how many other things I decide to subscribe to.

I'm pretty sure it's going to happen in the near future.

More and more people are stopping their cable TV service. I guess it's time to jump on that bandwagon, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment