Tuesday, September 10, 2013

NFL

Yesterday I mentioned that I enjoyed watching great college football games. Well prepared teams with great coaching and incredible execution make for very good viewing.

I also mentioned, late last season, that I was super excited to see The Niners bring back the quarterback option play to professional football. Colin Kaepernick had the ability to throw, but the Niners knew he could run the ball well too, so they went with more college-like sets in their option plays. With them, they came very, very close to winning the Super Bowl.

I said then that that type of offense was the beginning of a whole new era in NFL football. I was just hoping more teams would see why this type of offense works.

I was even MORE excited when I saw that the head coach of the Oregon Ducks, who engineered the most explosive offense in college football history, was hired by the Eagles to be THEIR new head coach this season. I said back then, that the NFL game would change forever because of it.

Chip Kelly introduced his offense to the NFL last night and it was every bit as unreal as I expected. I kept thinking that while I was watching this game that somehow THIS coach, in literally,  just a few weeks, had transformed his entire offense into this smooth, high octane, efficient force while Leslie Frazier, who has now been in charge of the Vikings for part of three seasons, STILL has his guys lining up wrong (and getting penalized for it) on the most basic of pro sets.

College football IS about preparation and execution and the best coaches know that. Last night, the Redskins ran into an unstoppable force of preparation and execution that also performed at unbelievable speed. The Eagles ran FIFTY-THREE plays in the FIRST HALF. Most teams don't run 53 play in an entire game.

And those plays exhausted the Washington defense. Though the final score LOOKED close, the game really wasn't. RGIII was unleashed for the Redskins in the second half, but they really didn't have enough time or gas in the tank to compete with that crushing offense of the newly revamped Eagles.

What's really amazing is that these are basically the SAME Eagle players who were so horrible LAST season. Michael Vick was so bad last season that he was fighting for his job in camp THIS season.

RGIII is a very good player. And he looked good coming back from last season's devastating knee injury. But last night, the star of the game was Chip Kelly's offense.

I sure hope it continues to roll. I want the Vikings to start shopping for a great college coach for NEXT season.




No comments:

Post a Comment