Saturday, September 28, 2013

Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum

The Vikings decided that Christian Ponder's broken rib should stay home in Minnesota this weekend. I thnk that's good news for Viking's fan worldwide.

The problem is that I've been reading comments from readers at ESPN, and the general consensus of Kansas City fans (you know, those who were forced to watch Matt Cassel the last couple of seasons) is that Ponder, even with both a broken rib AND his current horrid play would still be a better choice than Matt Cassel.

So there you have it. Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum. Two choices, neither which is any good. Our one bright hope is that Pittsburgh, even with Roethlisberger healthy, has looked just as pathetic as the Vikings so far this season. With both teams at 0-3, it's hard to imagine either team winning this weekend. My early pick is that Pittsburgh will kill us unless Peterson ends up with over 200 yard rushing. Now please note that I didn't say we'd WIN if Peterson got 200 yards, I merely stated that I don't think we'd get killed if Peterson had a good rushing day. I'm still pretty sure that Pittsburgh will beat us. Remember, that was just a week ago that a really bad Cleveland team beat us AT HOME.

Ponder said he'll be back for NEXT weekend's game. Minnesota fans were hoping that the injury would keep him sidelined until next year or longer. I guess I'll give Cassel a chance. It's not like there are any other real choices. Brett Favre is as healthy as he's been in years, and his agent says he's in playing shape, but if I were Brett, I wouldn't go anywhere near this mess of a team.

Me, I'm still laughing that people thought Tarvaris Jackson was a bad quarterback. Now that we've all seen Ponder, we know what a bad quarterback really looks like. Jackson is still playing backup in Seattle after having a good year there as their starter, while we have Ponder playing for a coach worse than both Tice and Childress. Tarvaris is not a great QB, but I'd take him over Ponder in a second. I'm guessing most Vikings fans would at this point.

I'm not sure how the Vikings would go about finding their next quarterback. The best way would to be to go 0-16 this season and then draft Johnny Football first in the draft next year. The problem with that? Johnny Manziel is known as much for his running game as his unbelievable passing. He wouldn't fit traditional coach Leslie Frazier's idea of what a quarterback should be. He'd have to totally rebuild his offensive game plan to accommodate him. And with Peterson in the backfield, he'd never do that. Tebow is available, but he'd have the same problem with Tim. We'd need a new offense for that to work.

HMMM, it looks like the only REAL solution is to get rid of Frazier and find a coach with a more modern approach. I don't think it's going to take that long for something like that to happen. If the Vikings keep playing like they are, that's a problem that will take care of itself in the very near future.




No comments:

Post a Comment