Monday, September 16, 2013

Sports Notes

The Vikings did not play well enough to win yesterday. The Vikings LOOKED good at times by making huge play after huge play. From a big fumble recovery for a touchdown, to three interceptions, to that big 105 yard kickoff return by Cordarrelle Patterson, it LOOKED like the Vikes could actually win the game.

But looks can be deceiving. Ponder was at best just average yesterday. He's was barely .500 passing. And the rushing game only averaged just 3.7 yards a a carry. The nuts and bolts of the game, not just the BIG plays determine the winners. And the Vikings play such average football that even that many big plays were not enough to offset the mediocre overall play.

And when the defense HAD to make a stop on that last drive, they didn't. The Vikes played better than I expected, but they still lost to another average (to bad) football team. The 0-2 start is going to be awfully hard to come back from.

The Twins, on the other hand, pulled a rabbit out of a hat yesterday. They got two homers and 4 RBI yesterday in the eighth inning to avoid a sweep by the Rays. Considering they had lost the last 11 straight to Tampa Bay, this was a very good thing. Pinto, the Twins new catcher, had one of those homers. He's still batting over .400 since being called up.

The Seahawks looked as good as experts thought last night. My Niners got stomped. As good as I thought the Niners were going into the game last night, that is how how good I think Seattle looked coming out. They really should be the Super Bowl favorites. I can't believe how easily they shut down Kaepernick last night. And their QB, Russell Wilson, is as good as advertised. I'm going to start enjoying pro games like college games. I'm rooting for Seattle now and I'll see if anyone can knock them off.

By planning on missing more Vikings games, I can start enjoying GOOD teams. Seattle and Green Bay are now on my list. I'll probably add the Niners back if they play well again next week. I don't want to rely on my football fix coming from the inept Vikings any more. With yet another painful, pathetic season coming our way, I NEED to try something different.

Favorite game of the day? Denver beating the Giants. The right Manning won.

Second favorite game? My Packers made RGIII look entirely awful yesterday. They took a huge lead and coasted the rest of the way. (If you can call Aaron Rodgers and his 4 TD passes and 480 yards of passing "coasting.")

It's so much more fun watching a good team and a great QB. I feel so sorry for young kids who are Vikings fans who may never know the joy of a good football team.

No comments:

Post a Comment