Monday, February 10, 2020

XFL: For the Love of the Game

I admit I was kind of interested in watching some football this weekend.

The NFL season is over.

I can't stand hockey and basketball anymore, and baseball is still a couple of months away.

So I watched my first XFL game Saturday. And then, surprisingly, I found myself watching most of the other three games as well.

Wow. I was pleasantly surprised. It wasn't the quality of play or the new rules that I found most interesting, it was the live mics on the refs, players, and coaches. When the refs huddled to discuss something, you HEARD it. When the official in the booth is reviewing a questionable call, you hear him and see him do it, and you can hear him talking to the other officials to make sure everything is understood before announcing the final decision.

It was absolutely amazing and it kept me watching.

The coaches calling the plays were mic'd in real time so we knew what play was coming. The announcers told us what the play would be and what to expect. This opened up the games in ways I never thought possible. It was fun. It was exciting. It was involving. It was an incredible, immersive experience.

The two Saturday games were higher scoring with more real action. The games Sunday were harder to watch because of good defenses and less skilled playmaking.

But both were still fun to watch because of the unbelievable inside coverage. Will the XFL be a hit with viewers?  I have no idea. But, I have seen the future of sports, and it is incredible.

I hope people watch. If you like sports in general, and football specifically, I think you too will be pleasantly surprised.

It sure is better than watching endless threes and dunks in basketball, and no scoring hockey.

1 comment:

  1. Welcome back! I watched a little of a game on Sunday and the highlight recaps on youtube. I liked it. Felt more like college and faster moving than the NFL. The faster pace and interviews with the PLAYERS was cool. Seeing the review in the booth was great. More transparency with everything. Really cool.

    ReplyDelete