Monday, October 1, 2012

Football

The Vikings surprisingly find themselves alone in first place this morning. The Bears have a chance of moving into a tie after tonight's game.

I counted half a dozen bad ref calls in the Vikes game yesterday and I wasn't even watching that closely.

I saw several horrible calls in the Packers game as well. IF New Orleans had made that last field goal at the end yesterday it would have been the refs' fault. The clear Sproles fumble was missed. Even the last offsides call against the Packers that gave New Orleans five extra yards at the end was blown. The Packers were drawn off by a New Orlean's player clear "twitch" that the refs didn't see. The refs also blew a call on a completed pass to New Orleans earlier that resulted in a long TD drive.

These refs were as bad as usual. People can complain about the replacements all they want, but you'd have a hard case proving these refs were better. EVEN the long delays as refs sorted things out was very "substitute-ref-like."

In the end. My Vikes and my Packers won. So all is right with the world.

And I'm still not convinced the Vikings are a good team. A kickoff return AND a punt return BOTH for touchdowns? We can't plan on those types of plays to win. So far, I feel we've been more lucky that good. I'm not complaining though. Lucky is way better than playing badly.

The season is 25% done and the Vikes are in first place. No one saw that coming.


2 comments:

  1. I'm not convinced they are a good team either. However, they DO have some outstanding players and not just the usual veterans. I loved they way the defense played yesterday. Whether they are a good team this year or not, I see some positive progress for the future. At least for now we can count on them being able to win any game any week. When the season started I didn't think they could top 3 wins. It looks like they may be able to do that. They ARE better than the last two years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are better, but it's a long season. I can actually look forward to Vikings games again. At least for now.

    ReplyDelete