Friday, March 1, 2013

Basketball

I had the privilege of watching my nephew Carter's basketball game last night in Mankato. He and his team dominated most of the way and they sort of coasted home for a win. It was their last regular season game of the year with playoffs starting next week.

Carter had a really nice easy dunk in the first half and a lot of sweet Ricky Rubie-esque passes and assists throughout the game. I was surprised to find out that you are allowed to dunk the ball during warmups in high school now. You just can't do it "with authority." Before the second half started he did one of the smoothest 360 slams I've ever seen in warmups. He's got a soft touch on his turn-around jump shot everywhere in the paint, and he's actually pretty good at shooting threes as well, though his coach won't let him do that in games. He's also a very, very good dribbler. He looked more like a guard than a center during warmups.

At 6 foot 10, he should do really well in college. I'm just hoping the coaching he'll get in college will allow him to reach his full potential.

I don't know what his totals were last night but it's safe to say he was in the teens for rebounds and around 20 points. I sure was glad I finally got to see him play varsity ball and I'm really hoping I'll get to see him play on T.V. in the state tournaments. There are a lot of good teams in his area so he might not make it that far.


No comments:

Post a Comment