Friday, March 15, 2013

Matt Cassel

I called this a couple days back, but much like Super Steve, I'm don't have that much confidence in Matt Cassel anymore. Kansas City sucked the life out of him the last couple of years and he no longer resembles the QB that led the Patriots in Tom Brady's absence. Injuries and a horrible ball club cost him his starting job in KC, and the man who replaced him, Brady Quinn, isn't exactly all-pro either.

BUT just like Steve, I'm pretty happy that we have an option at starter other than Christian Ponder. It also makes it possible for the Vikings to find something for Joe Webb to do rather than sitting on the bench as a protected backup quarterback.

My biggest fear from all of this is that Webb will simply be cut and we'll never see what he's capable of doing given a real chance. With Harvin gone, we should at least consider him as a kick returner and slot receiver.

Talks have also picked up about Greg Jennings, the most famous Green Bay free agent. He visited Minnesota yesterday and some of the Vikings players took him out to a steak dinner telling him how much they wanted him as a teammate. That's pretty cool. Knowing he'd be leaving the Packers makes it all the sweeter. The Vikes have cleared some salary space the last few days and they do need a quality receiver. I'm not convinced that Jennings is the answer but it's not like the Vikings have any real options for Ponder or Cassel to throw to at this point.

Jerome Simpson, Jarius Wright and Stephen Burton are the only receivers on our roster right now. None instill fear in NFL defensive backs. I hate to judge them all poorly because, for all I know, it's mostly been a matter of Ponder's inadequacy, though Simpson dropping so many passes early in the season surely was not Ponder's fault.

I think both Cassel and Jennings are welcome possibilities so I'm hoping that Jennings picks the Vikings. He's good enough to sign with any team he wants. IF I WERE in that position, I certainly wouldn't sign with the Vikings, not knowing who my QBs might be. I can't imagine leaving Aaron Rodgers for those horrible alternatives.

No comments:

Post a Comment