Thursday, March 28, 2013

The Streak is Over

Even the Heat just found out how hard it is to go 33 straight wins without a loss like the Lakers did in the early 1970's. The Heat did better than anyone else since then by going 27 straight, but it all came to a screeching halt when they ran into the Bulls in Chicago last night. The final was 101-97.

Personally I'm relieved. I'm usually rooting for just about every record to be broken in the world of sports, but this one is different. THAT Laker team from the early 70's was MY team. That was the team that hooked me on pro basketball as a kid. That team was West, and Chamberlain, and Baylor, and Goodrich, and Hairston. AND THEY WERE THE BEST EVER!

And I dislike the Heat. Not like I did three years ago when three players kind of did this all by themselves to become the best. (I actually kind of liked that aspect of it.) LeBron is finally growing on me and as I mellow in age I may actually come to admire his ability. But Lebron is no Michael, and he's no Wilt either. The nickname "King" still has to be earned. Will he one day be one of the top 5 to ever play the game? With a few more titles, I'd include him. But he's not there yet. He's close, but he has not arrived.

No comments:

Post a Comment