Monday, March 25, 2013

Gopher Women Undefeated AND National Champions

It's odd. You can find all sorts of lesser known sports on television, but the NCAA Championship for women's hockey IS NOT one of them.

I couldn't find it on any of my TV channels yesterday so I went to the internet instead. Lo and behold, it was being streamed by the University of Minnesota at their sports website.

This is where it gets cool. Since I have an Apple TV and an iPad, I simply broadcast the game from the internet to my TV and I watched the two final periods that way. The commercials were in HD but the game was in standard 360p. It still looked great and I managed to see a really great hockey game in the process.

That's right, I said "a really great" hockey game. The Gopher women won 6-4, but they totally dominated the entire game even though the score looked closer than the game really was. Great skating, great passing, and a lot less stoppage of play for penalties and/or fights.

The skill level was way, way better than I expected, as was the sped of the game. Women's hockey has come along way since the last time I tried to watch. Girl's hockey at the high school level is still pretty slow by comparison.

But this was good, and the women did something that's rare in sports today. 41-0 is a great record. Repeating as national Champions is even better. And getting to watch the game on T.V. because of my $100 Apple TV was even cooler.

Oh, and the Men's basketball team got blown out early by Florida yesterday in NCAA basketball.

Meh.

No comments:

Post a Comment