Saturday, May 25, 2013

Mauer Gets Hit

And that was the only highlight of the Twins' 10th straight loss.

Dedundo allowed 6 runs in a little over 5 innings. He looked like the bad version of himself and not the WBC version the world saw before he got injured.

TEN straight losses is quite an accomplishment. That's basically 1/16 of the season.

I just did some quick math, so don't quote me on this, but the Twins starters have pitched 233 innings in 45 games this year. That's an average of less than 4 2/3 innings a game. I predicted the bullpen would be worn out by mid-May and I think the Twins are seeing that now. We have a staff of starters who can't make it five innings while the bullpen is forced to pitch nearly half of every single game.

Maybe it's time to think about my suggestion of getting rid of all the starters and go with nothing but relief pitchers. I'm sure some baseball purists would laugh at me, but let's face facts, we already ARE a staff of pitchers who pitch short stints, it's just that we call FIVE of them starters. And at least 3 of them haven't been any good this season at all.

Our only other option is to watch minor league starters struggle through long losing streaks. I'd rather take the chance on good relievers.

Why doesn't anybody else see this? Where's Billy Beane when you need him?

No comments:

Post a Comment