Saturday, May 24, 2014

TV Season Over

The Twins lost last night to Tim Lincecum and the Giants. Lincecum isn't as good as he was a couple of season back, but he still know how to win.

Since the TV season is winding down, I thought I'd rank my favorite shows in order of how the last few episodes struck me at the end. It's the best list out there. Trust me.

Comedies:

1) Bob's Burgers

I hated this show the first time I watched it. The male voices for most of the characters drove me crazy at first. But now I think its one of the few shows on television that makes me laugh consistently though out. I still watch the Simpsons each week, hoping at some point it becomes funny like it once was.

2) Big Bang Theory

This entire season had funny episode after funny episode, for me it was probably the best season since season one. That I put it in second place makes me realize how much I enjoy Bob's Burgers.

3) Brooklyn Nine-Nine

This show caught me by surprise. It's more of a standard quirky character sitcom, but the characters are for the most part very likable and I can't help but laugh at the smarmy, cocky lead detective played by Andy Samberg. He almost always come out ahead.

4) Parks and Recreation

I'm probably the only person in America that doesn't like Amy Poehler's ultra-liberal government employee character, but the rest of the cast more than makes up for her shortcomings. Ron Swanson is simply the best character on television and balances her off well.

Honorable Mention: Modern Family
Cancelled But Great: Community

Dramas:

1) Mr Selfridge

While most of America raves about PBS's Downton Abbey (I like it to), it simply does not compare to the remarkable cast and story of Harry Selfridge, based on the life of real-life American business man who started the department store revolution in London in the early 1900's. The first season was good. The second season was GREAT. Now in the middle of World War One in Europe, it's a lot more than selling merchandise.

2) Person of Interest

This has been my favorite show since its debut. And it got BETTER this year. The only reason it's number two now is because of the last several episodes of Selfridge this month. The show has now rebooted to an even gloomier, dark big-brother society. I can't wait to see where it goes.

3) Blacklist

Every single episode was superb. I still think the main female character is a little too dense to be a believable FBI agent, and that weighs the show down. "Red" Reddington is the most likable villain on television. He has skills. Dangerous skills.

4) Bates Motel

How did Norman Bates get so creepy? He started out as a real nice boy, it's just that he's had a lot of difficult things in his life. Freddy Highmore plays Norman to perfection. He's really likable, and that's the key. You feel sorry for him. Each episode ends in a way that you crave the show even more.

 5) Elementary

This modern day twist on the Sherlock Holmes legend has been less than consistent. This year it was more of a standard "Whodunnit". Except that the underlying subplot became the major story line the last few weeks. And THAT story line was incredible. The relationship between Holmes and Watson is the best on television. Respect has been earned on both sides of the equation.

6) Marvel: Agents of Shield

I tried to like this show all season. I nearly stopped watching it several times. It was just to "comic booky"  in the bad sense of the word. I read comic books all the time. The good ones are great. This show seemed more like what people think of the really bad ones. But their recovery at the end of the season was more like the better comic book movies. It's still puts in too many hoakey bits for my liking, but the plots and characters are becoming less cartoony and more likable and compelling. This show wouldn't even be in the top twenty if it weren't for the last few episodes. And I'm grading on that.

Other shows I like but aren't consistent enough to list as best: Supernatural, Resurrection, Green Arrow, Grimm, Dowton Abbey

Of all the group crime shows on television, (CSI, Law and Order, NCIS and their variations) there is only ONE that I watch: Criminal Minds. It is hands down the the the best of the best. The characters take the victims deaths seriously. And they like each other. All the others are practically (and mostly) unwatchable.







No comments:

Post a Comment