Sunday, October 25, 2015

Upsets

I watched some of the Utah/USC and FSU/Georgia Tech games last night.

Both Utah (number 3) and FSU (number 9) lost to their unranked opponents. Normally, before the playoff system was established, these would have been  season ending losses, with no hope of playing in the championship game at the end of the season. These losses would have been huge. These games would have mattered.

Now?

They're just losses that mean very little.

That's why I didn't watch both games at the end.

The ratings are down across the board this year for college games. TV networks and the NCAA are puzzled.

I'm not. I predicted this would happen. If the games don't matter. If WINNING EVERY SINGLE GAME no longer matters, if the whole season isn't one sudden death playoff, viewers will not watch like they did before.

They are still good games.

But less is at stake.

As a result, it's no longer must see TV. They'll watch the playoff games at the end but the rest of the season holds less interest.

I'm now content just reading about the endings in the morning.  That FSU/GT ending sounded great, almost as good as last week's Michigan/Mich St. game. I missed that, too.

Oh well, there's NFL football today. And most of my favorites are playing.




No comments:

Post a Comment