Sunday, May 17, 2015

Zip Lock Bags

I can't be the only person that hates these things. My hotdogs come with them. My shredded cheese comes with them. My sunflower seeds come with them. Even some of my chips come with them. What do they all have in common?

They don't work very well. I'll give you some examples. IF you pour a little shredded cheese out of the bag, some of the cheese will inevitably get stuck in the the zip lock. You will then be squishing the perfectly good cheese there. Until a time or two later when the bag no longer seals, and then you will have dry crusty cheese with half a pack to go. It's not that I didn't go through the proper motions to seal it again. It simply stops responding to the sealing movement.

My Oscar Mayer hotdogs are worse. The zip lock easily tears and doesn't reseal that easily. What you end up with is messy hotdog juice in the fridge when the package tips over, and you won't discover it until its sticky and on everything else. And its not like this is the kind of juice you'd drink even if it was fresh. It's the stuff you would throw away when you're done with the wieners.

And you THOUGHT you did everything right until you find the mess in the fridge late the next day.

But the worst? My Good Sense sunflower seeds. The packages are made so they stand up straight on my counter looking perfect after you reseal them. The problem is they look just as perfect if you DON'T reseal them properly. And you can't always feel the obvious difference once you pour some on your salad. But you'll sure discover the difference two days later in a humid Minnesota house after two days of being open. The crispest, tastiest sunflower seeds on the planet become gooey inedible paste in just two days of these damp conditions.

I find myself going out of my way, as of late, to find packages that AREN'T made for MY CONVENIENCE. I clip the top off, fold the top over and put a clothespin on it. It's faster, easier, and less messy.

No more weiner juice and sunflower seed paste for me.

I don't know when convenience stopped being convenient in our society, but I at least recognize some of the symptoms.

And if I can help just one other person with the struggle, I can say that I've done my job.

3 comments: