Saturday, January 2, 2016

Christian McCaffrey

Wow. I heard a lot about this sophomore from Stanford this year, but last night's Rose Bowl was the first time I actually got to watch him. He was the runner-up in the Heisman vote this year, and all I can say is this kid got robbed.

After last night's performance, he should be everyone's leading contender next year. He had 368 all-purpose yards in the game, and it looked like he wasn't even used that much. He looks so average when you see him, but with the ball in his hands as a running back, receiver, or kick returner he is the smoothest offensive player I have ever seen. It's almost like the defense wasn't even on the field. He's so elusive and so quick that on so many plays the defense can't even get close to him.

I've never seen a player like this before. Derrick Henry won the Heisman as a good, big running back. McCaffrey is more like a super hero. He plays so much better, at everything, that he's just at a whole 'nother level.

Looking up his stats for the year just floored me. That he's just 19 years old is just scary.

I also discovered something else yesterday.

I like watching football way more than I like watching baseball. Make no mistake. Baseball is the coolest sport ever invented. I can watch the Twins play every single day as long as they're having a good season. But I don't watch other baseball games unless it's playoff time.

Football is different. I find myself watching three or four NFL games every weekend. Sometimes more depending on who is playing. And I watch a lot of NCAA football as long as they're ranked teams.

I ended up watching the better part of three bowl games yesterday and I wasn't even planning on it. All I ask from the college games is there be a lot of scoring. From the NFL I demand a great quarterback.

If either is present, I'm hooked.

I'll be watching all the Stanford games I can find next year. McCaffrey is worth watching. I see a lot of great football players by watching so many top games, but I have never seen anyone like Christian McCaffrey.

That kid is special.

No comments:

Post a Comment