Sunday, June 24, 2012

Luis Tiant

When the Twins acquired Luis Tiant from Boston when I was growing up, he really stood out as a pitcher. Not just because he was good, but because he had one of the most unique delivery motions I had ever seen. He'd actually turn his back to the batter every time he threw the ball. My twin brother and I who imitated just about every batting style in the league when we played ball now had someone else to imitate. When we pitched, we now threw like Luis Tiant (El Tiante).

Why do I bring this up? Yesterday the Twins lost because they faced the ace of the Cincinnati Reds and he was ON. His delivery? Well, let's just say he must have seem some film of Luis Tiant growing up. Boy did that bring back memories.

Johnny Cueto shut the Twins out yesterday, but watching him pitch was well worth it. I wonder how many little kids in Ohio will be imitating that style over the next several years?  If they are baseball fans who love the game, my guess is all of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment