Friday, January 31, 2014

Ally Oop

It can't be just me this time of year. The Sports Center Top Ten Plays are so BORING. With basketball and hockey going on and not much else, every single day is the same. 7 or 8 ally oop dunks and a couple accidental hockey shots that hit the corner of the net. Once in a while you'll see a goalie making an accidental save. But its always the same. You can substitute soccer once in a while for the accidental goal or save that is proclaimed great. But that's pretty much it.

A play that happens dozens of times a night, often when there is nothing at stake, is just not that cool anymore. I saw the play when I was watching practice at college my freshmen year. It was the first time I saw something like that live. It was cool.

But when I saw a few more times, I realized if a team with big tall players have a few who could jump, they should be able to do something like that. And that was at a small insignificant university in southwest Minnesota (hint) 35 years ago.

I see many guys in the park, right down the block from me, doing it on a 8 1/2 foot rim. Regular guys who aren't very tall. It just doesn't seem like that big a deal when so many can do it.

I'd rather watch the phenomenal passing of Ricky Rubio every time he plays a game than more dunks. Why? Because that is an uncommon ability that very few people possess. And I never see it live. And it's unbelievable as to the amount of skill that is needed. People just don't see the beauty of finesse any more.

Dunks? Bah, Humbug.


2 comments:

  1. As much as I don't care much for the Winter Olympics, their highlights will be a welcome alternative to the NBA dunk tedium.

    ReplyDelete