Monday, May 6, 2013

The Wild

I've talked about NHL hockey occasionally in the past and I still think it's more soccer than sport. This current post-season series with the Blackhawks is a good example.

We looked good in the first game but lost in OT. Yesterday we looked good and won in OT. But the problem is both games had lots of play up and down the ice and nobody really scored.

I don't want to say that the goalies are great and that's why hockey is such a low scoring game. I'd rather say that good defensive strategy by MOST teams makes scoring a matter of luck rather than skill. I've covered this before. The level of talent is all so equal that there just isn't enough to distinguish great from bad. All the teams are merely good and it usually takes an overtime period or a shootout for one team to win because ONE TEAM EVENTUALLY HAS TO WIN with one more goal than the other team.

With all of that being said, I think the Wild have played better than the Hawks so far in this series. They should have won the first game and they won yesterday.

But since this IS hockey I have to use my college basketball line from Oogway instead.

"There are no good teams. There are no bad teams. There are just teams."

I'm still hoping that the Wild get a couple more lucky bounces and pull the whole thing out however. As Mike Pelfrey has so ably demonstrated for the Twins this season, sometimes it is better to be lucky than good.

Go Wild!

No comments:

Post a Comment