Wednesday, August 15, 2012

EETHER or IITHER

Anybody else annoyed that over the last 10 years or so that Americans have started using the British pronunciation of the words "either" and "neither?" Every TV show or movie I watch now has every single actor pronouncing it with the "long-i" sound instead of the "long-e" sound all of us grew up with. It doesn't matter if they are old or young, rich people educated at Harvard or bums on the street of Brazil. They all now say "IIther."

I'm still a holdout, but I'm hearing more people in real life say it as well.

It reminds me of the time when I was a kid when teachers started pronouncing the "t" in often. That died out fairly quickly for most. I think this change is going to be with us for a while.

And I don't like it nEEther.

The classic Disney baseball cartoon did it right. "Safe. Out. EEther, nEEther, or both."

I'm afraid Disney will re-edit that cartoon so that it matches today's new arbitrary standard.

Who decides this stuff anyway? I'd like to discover why there's been such a sudden switch and who started it.

1 comment:

  1. THANK YOU! Anyone who disagrees, LOOK IT UP. Websters Dictionary online will pronounce it for you.

    ReplyDelete