Monday, May 14, 2012

Diamond Shines in Twins Win

I actually took the time to watch most of yesterday's Twin's win.

I was rewarded for my effort. And I'm also glad I stopped watching it after 7 great innings by Scott Diamond. It was a beautiful day yesterday so I went for a walk just as Jared Burton came in. I missed his three runs and one out. My memories of the game will be much better as a result.

By actually watching so much of the game, I discovered something I didn't know just watching bits and pieces. The Twins, as bad as they are on offense, are extremely patient at the plate. I noticed they walked 8 times yesterday so I went back and checked the last few games. They walked 26 times in the four game series with the Blue Jays. I started checking other stats as well.  It looks like the Twins strike out less than just about anybody.

Both of those stats are major pluses and indicate just maybe they can get a few more wins this year. At the same time the Twins had 18 base runners yesterday and only scored 4 runs. They've left an awful lot of base runners on the last couple of games. How they don't score runs with those types of stats is totally beyond me.

One last plus? Capps is now seven for seven in save opportunities. He doesn't get the chance often, but when the opportunity comes up, he's been perfect so far. The Twins split a series. That in itself is a big step forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment