Sunday, May 20, 2012

I'll Have Another Wins Preakness

No horse since 1978 has won the Triple Crown. I'll Have Another won the Preakness yesterday giving it a chance to do so at the Belmont Stakes in just a few weeks.

Since 1978, over 40,000 horses have died on American race tracks. Usually it's a broken leg. For those of you wondering, that's 24 horses a week on the average. A recent American TV show was cancelled because a couple of horses died on the set. Even though no real evidence of neglect was demonstrated, the set and TV show was deemed potentially dangerous and the show was shut down. Horse racing has been proven extremely dangerous to the animals and yet it continues.

I know that horse racing is a gambling gold mine in the U.S. but I'm not really sure why it still escapes scrutiny. Of course I want I'll Have Another to win the Triple Crown, but at the same time I don't think these races should be taking place.

40,000 horses. And that's just in the U.S. There's a darker side to this sport of kings. I just like reminding people of that once in a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment